4/8/11

a little late but worth the wait!

A lot of my friends and family have written about this year's General Conference, and now I am finally getting around to it.

For those of you that don't know, my church {The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints aka Mormons} has a meeting twice a year for all of the members to attend {if youre in Utah} or watch all over the world.



I have always treasured General Conference and look forward to it twice a year. The four years I was in college at BYUI, I had the opportunity to attend General Conference at the conference center most of the time for at least one session. I treasure those experiences, and wish I could make it up to Salt Lake every six months or so.

This year I watched it on the internet from home. It was difficult to get into the mood and spirit of the meetings because husby was sooo violently sick last week {he has a rupture in his spleen! yuck, fingers crossed it doesnt get bad enough to warrant surgery, were waiting to see if it will get better}

I am very grateful that the church is so quick in making all the sessions available to watch, listen, or read. I have been spending the week reviewing everything. You should too right HERE.

Elder Scott has always always been one of my most favorite speakers. I had an experience with him at BYUI where he came to speak to a small group of us {small as in a couple hundred, but compared to  14 million I feel special} Of course the entire talk was EXACTLY to me and what I needed at the time. I could have sworn that he was looking directly at me the whole time too.

When we shook his hand afterward he took my hand with both hands and smiled at me... as if to tell me that he was indeed the answer to my prayers that I had been looking for... love it!

His talk this time was THE BEST! I cried the whole way through it... he spoke of his wife and marriage and family. Some favorite quotes:

"Pure love is an incomparable, potent power for good. Righteous love is the foundation of a successful marriage. It is the primary cause of contented, well-developed children."


"Marriage provides an ideal setting for overcoming any tendency to be selfish or self-centered. I think one of the reasons that we are counseled to get married early in life is to avoid developing inappropriate character traits that are hard to change."

And another good one from Brother Richards talk:

As Elder Dallin H. Oaks has taught: “Healing blessings come in many ways, each suited to our individual needs, as known to Him who loves us best. Sometimes a ‘healing’ cures our illness or lifts our burden. But sometimes we are ‘healed’ by being given strength or understanding or patience to bear the burdens placed upon us.” 17 All that will come may be “clasped in the arms of Jesus.” 18 All souls can be healed by His power. All pain can be soothed. In Him, we can “find rest unto [our] souls.” 19 Our mortal circumstances may not immediately change, but our pain, worry, suffering, and fear can be swallowed up in His peace and healing balm.
 Everything was so great as usual. I cant wait to get my Ensign next month so I can wear it out reading and rereading everything. If you havent had the chance to attend conference at the Conference Center, I highly recommend taking the trip at least once in your life. It wil make every conference experience more special to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Labels